SoftwareSerial with ATTiny84 using ATtiny library

With some baud rates, the Arduino serial interface on my Mac receives some gibberish data and with others nothing at all. The TX led on the Arduino blinks when data is being sent btw.

Are you using your Arduino as a serial converter?

daywalkerdha:
Not sure how this is supposed to work without power...

It won't.

...but just to test everything I tried it as well and the AtTiny stopped transmitting after pulling out the VCC cable.

Don't do that again. It violates the specifications (meaning it could damage the processor).

No, I'm just trying to use the Arduino board as a serial interface because I don't have a separate one. The 84's TX pin goes to the RX pin on the Arduino Uno R3 board which makes the TX led blink on the Arduino board. I also connected a 10µF cap between RESET and GND on the Arduino and leave the 4 pins used for programming the 84 connected during testing. The only thing I change during programming is disconnecting the 84's serial line temporarily.

That's what they taught me in EE :wink:

daywalkerdha:
No, I'm just trying to use the Arduino board as a serial interface because I don't have a separate one.

That is what I was trying to ask. Got it.

The 84's TX pin goes to the RX pin on the Arduino Uno R3 board which makes the TX led blink on the Arduino board.

I think that's correct.

I also connected a 10µF cap between RESET and GND on the Arduino

The Arduino processor has to be removed (not recommended) or forced into reset (recommended). Remove the 10µF capacitor. Connect a jumper between RESET and GND. (Actually, you can probably leave the capacitor in place.)

As you've discovered, the Arduino processor interferes with serial communications. In addition, unless the Arduino processor is essentially removed from the circuit, it is possible to damage one or both processors (some current limiting resistors will protect both sides).

If you are interested, I have a version of the ArduinoISP sketch that makes what you are trying to do much simpler.

I already ordered a zif-header to be able to remove the 328 easily and without damage.

What does your modified sketch do to make it simpler and would it allow me to program the external micro and still get serial data without changing the connections every time?

daywalkerdha:
What does your modified sketch do to make it simpler and would it allow me to program the external micro and still get serial data without changing the connections every time?

The sketch provides a "serial relay" which has two on-wire options... the standard TTL-serial and something I call Knock-Bang. The Knock-Bang protocol is designed specifically for debugging a tiny processor when using an Arduino as a programmer. It's more robust and faster than TTL-serial.

In either case, you don't need to fiddle with the wiring. MISO (one of the programming lines) is used for serial communications.

That sounds great, could you post the library here? I'll try the serial interface without the 328 once the zif socket arrives.

Ok, I couldn't wait for the zif socket;) Once I removed the Arduino and plugged the Serial cable into the TX(not RX as before) pin on the Arduino board, everything worked just fine! So it seems as if the Arduino blocks the communication if its inserted and your library should be able to solve my problem.

The latest version of the sketch (TinyISP) can be downloaded from here...
https://github.com/Coding-Badly/TinyISP/zipball/master

Or, the source can be browsed here...

As published, it is a drop-in replacement for the ArduinoISP sketch. Please download it and try it. At this point, the only noticeable difference should be shorter upload times. I will add more instructions later (probably tonight).

Thanks, but it won't compile

In file included from TinyISP.cpp:43:
TinyISP_SanityChecks.h:45:6: error: #error The Knock-Bang Relay and Serial Relay are mutually exclusive for this processor. Enable one or the other but not both. See the <TinyISP_BuildOptions.h> file.
TinyISP_SanityChecks.h:51:10: error: #error Ensure the "#include <SoftwareSerial.h>" line in the sketch is not commented-out or set RELAY_SERIAL_ENABLED to 0 in the <TinyISP_BuildOptions.h> file.

I can remove the 2nd error by removing the comment from the "//#include <SoftwareSerial.h>" line but once I changed the "#define RELAY_KNOCK_BANG_ENABLED 1" to "#define RELAY_KNOCK_BANG_ENABLED 0" in "TinyISP_BuildOptions.h" a whole bunch of compile errors appear.

SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp.o: In function `__vector_3':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp:302: multiple definition of `__vector_3'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:271: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangParser.cpp.o: In function `TinyDebugKnockBangParserClass::process()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangParser.cpp:51: multiple definition of `TinyDebugKnockBangParserClass::process()'
KnockBangParser.cpp.o:KnockBangParser.cpp:51: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangParser.cpp.o:/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangParser.cpp:51: multiple definition of `TinyDebugParser'
KnockBangParser.cpp.o:KnockBangParser.cpp:51: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o: In function `TinyDebugKnockBangClass_AssemblyMacros()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp:155: multiple definition of `TinyDebugKnockBangClass_AssemblyMacros()'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:155: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o: In function `KnockBangReceive_begin()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp:184: multiple definition of `KnockBangReceive_begin()'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:184: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o: In function `KnockBangReceive_end()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp:211: multiple definition of `KnockBangReceive_end()'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:211: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o: In function `KnockBangReceive_available()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp:238: multiple definition of `KnockBangReceive_available()'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:238: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o: In function `KnockBangReceive_read()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp:250: multiple definition of `KnockBangReceive_read()'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:250: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o: In function `__vector_3':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp:271: multiple definition of `__vector_3'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:271: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o: In function `KnockBangReceive_getStats(kbr_stats_t&)':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp:598: multiple definition of `KnockBangReceive_getStats(kbr_stats_t&)'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:598: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o: In function `KnockBangReceive_getLastFault()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp:637: multiple definition of `KnockBangReceive_getLastFault()'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:637: first defined here
TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o: In function `KnockBangReceive_getLastDebug1()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/KnockBangReceiver.cpp:656: multiple definition of `KnockBangReceive_getLastDebug1()'
KnockBangReceiver.cpp.o:KnockBangReceiver.cpp:656: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::setMode(AispLEDClass::mode_t)':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:94: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::setMode(AispLEDClass::mode_t)'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:94: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::update()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:108: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::update()'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:108: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::flash()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:77: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::flash()'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:77: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::error()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:66: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::error()'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:66: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o: In function `AispLEDClass::begin(unsigned char)':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:53: multiple definition of `AispLEDClass::begin(unsigned char)'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:53: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:94: multiple definition of `StatusIndicator'
TinyISP_AispLED.cpp.o:TinyISP_AispLED.cpp:94: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Monitor.cpp.o: In function `monitor_run(unsigned char&)':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Monitor.cpp:123: multiple definition of `monitor_run(unsigned char&)'
TinyISP_Monitor.cpp.o:TinyISP_Monitor.cpp:123: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_toggle_hold_in_reset()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:820: multiple definition of `programmer_toggle_hold_in_reset()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:820: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_error_occurred()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:857: multiple definition of `programmer_error_occurred()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:857: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_release_target_from_reset()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:829: multiple definition of `programmer_release_target_from_reset()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:829: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_hold_target_in_reset()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:852: multiple definition of `programmer_hold_target_in_reset()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:852: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_reset_target()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:834: multiple definition of `programmer_reset_target()'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:834: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_toggle_hold_in_reset()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:820: multiple definition of `param'
TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o: In function `programmer_process_command(unsigned char)':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:689: multiple definition of `programmer_process_command(unsigned char)'
TinyISP_Programmer.cpp.o:TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:689: first defined here
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Programmer.cpp:820: multiple definition of `programmer_active'
TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o: In function `spi_begin()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp:67: multiple definition of `spi_begin()'
TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o:TinyISP_SPI.cpp:67: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o: In function `spi_end()':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp:102: multiple definition of `spi_end()'
TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o:TinyISP_SPI.cpp:102: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o: In function `spi_send':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp:120: multiple definition of `spi_transaction(unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)'
TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o:TinyISP_SPI.cpp:120: first defined here
TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o: In function `spi_transaction2(unsigned long)':
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_SPI.cpp:183: multiple definition of `spi_transaction2(unsigned long)'
TinyISP_SPI.cpp.o:TinyISP_SPI.cpp:183: first defined here

Arduino IDE version?

My apologies. The current version is configured for a Teensy. Try this...

• Load the TinyISP sketch

• Undo whatever changes you made

• Navigate to the TinyISP_BuildOptions.h file

• Locate this line...

#define RELAY_KNOCK_BANG_ENABLED 1

...and change it to this (change the one to a zero)...

#define RELAY_KNOCK_BANG_ENABLED 0

• Locate this line...

#define RELAY_SERIAL_ENABLED 1

#define RELAY_SERIAL_ENABLED 0

I have tried the TinyISP in Arduino version 1.0 and an Attiny85.

After making the changes above evrything works, the heartbeat Led beats, and and I can upload the Blink example.

I have tried it in version 0021 too, without much succes.
In that version, heartbeat ok, burn bootloader OK, but when I try oplading the Blink example, it just get stuck without any error messages.

Now I just need to find out how to use the serial communication.

I'm using the newest Arduino version and changed the lines, but now I get:

TinyISP_RelaySoftSerial.h:45: error: 'SoftwareSerial' does not name a type
TinyISP_RelaySoftSerial.h:51: error: 'SerialRelay' does not name a type
/Users/daniel/Dropbox/Code/Arduino/libraries/TinyISP/TinyISP_Monitor.cpp: In function 'bool monitor_run(uint8_t&)':
TinyISP_Monitor.cpp:130: error: 'RelaySerial' was not declared in this scope

Didn't I disable the serial relay by setting the setting to 0, because that's what I need in the end :wink:

I had to make a correction. Please re-download (or git pull) before continuing.

Enabling the Serial Relay...

• Load the TinyISP sketch

• Navigate to the TinyISP_BuildOptions.h file

• Locate this line...

#define RELAY_SERIAL_ENABLED 0

#define RELAY_SERIAL_ENABLED 1

• Navigate to the TinyISP.pde (TinyISP.ino) file

• Locate this line...

//#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

...and change it to this (remove the comment)...

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

• Upload the modified sketch to your Uno

Wiring the Serial Relay...

• Digital pin 12 on the Uno is receive. Connect transmit from the target to pin 12 on the Uno. This pin is also used when programming the target (MISO).

• Digital pin 14 (A0) on the Uno is transmit. It can be left unconnected or it can be connected to receive on the target.

Using the Serial Relay...

• After opening Serial Monitor (or another terminal application), send a single exclamation mark (!) to activate the Monitor (which also activates the Serial Relay)

• When finished, send a second single exclamation mark (!) to return to Programming

• The Monitor supports three other commands...

@ Toggle between holding the target in reset after programming and allowing the target to run immediately

Reset the target now or allow the target to run if it is held in reset

$ Hold the target in reset

Now I have redownloadet the TinyISP and made the corrections mentioned in reply #22 and #26.

I can upload the blink sketch as before but when I try to send a exclamation mark (!) in the serial monotor, all I get is this

ÿ

which I belive means -1 or nothing returned.

I am using Attiny85, IDE 1.0, and have tried both 1mHz and 8mHz

My setup is:
I have left the wires from the programming setup, which means that pin12 on the Uno is connected to MISO. I have not connected pin14 to anything.

My test sketch is the blink sketch with a println

void setup() {                
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  // Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards:

Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(3, OUTPUT);     
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("Testing...");
  digitalWrite(3, HIGH);   // set the LED on
  delay(500);              
  digitalWrite(3, LOW);    // set the LED off
  delay(100);             
}