Acrylic Case for Arduino Unos

Nice looking cases; I'll keep them in mind for future projects...

BTW - this is off-topic, but I thought I would ask - how did you (or your team member(s)) learn to do the mechanical design of the case - that is, how did you go about learning where to position what and size things so that in the end, it would all come together and fit right?

I'm only asking this because I see several of these projects, and I also see things like commercially made products - I know this is all mechanical design and such, but how do you go from being a mostly "newbie" to being able to make such a design? Are there books available on it? Online tutorials or courses? Any thing else?

A long time ago (junior and high school), I took a few drafting classes that taught how to do technical drawing (pencil, paper, t-squares, etc), but there wasn't much emphasis on how to design something from scratch. I understand that you need measurements, layout, tolerances, etc...but not much else do I understand.

Furthermore, what is needed to say - use Blender to design a gear train with the proper dimensions then print the pieces out using a Makerbot Replicator (or similar 3D printing device - or a CNC machine, or a laser cutter, etc)? It seems like all I can find out there for such work is "how to design things" but they don't go into the deeper knowledge of how to lay out holes, etc - and know how to know it fits together properly, etc - then how to split it up into parts for "printing"...