Tone.cpp improvement

Searching through some core code I came across the tone lib and especially the function:

void tone(uint8_t _pin, unsigned int frequency, unsigned long duration)

This function tries to find an optimal prescaler for the timer. To do that it calculates the OCR = F_CPU / frequency / 2 / SomePrescaler -1 nine times.
Because division is expensive I took an extra variable uint32_t ocrRaw = F_CPU / frequency / 2; which is the repeating part of the formula
and replaced that in the rest of the function.

I tested with ToneKeyboard.pde sample sketch to see the impact on the size.
before patch => 3614 bytes
after patch => 3526 bytes
improvement == 88 bytes!

I did not test speed, I expect it to be slightly faster (no free Arduino nearby to test)

Disadvantages?

Posted as improvement - memory improvement of the tone.cpp lib · Issue #192 · arduino/ArduinoCore-avr · GitHub -

robtillaart:
Searching through some core code I came across the tone lib and especially the function:

void tone(uint8_t _pin, unsigned int frequency, unsigned long duration)

This function tries to find an optimal prescaler for the timer. To do that it calculates the OCR = F_CPU / frequency / 2 / SomePrescaler -1 nine times.
Because division is expensive I took an extra variable uint32_t ocrRaw = F_CPU / frequency / 2; which is the repeating part of the formula
and replaced that in the rest of the function.

I tested with ToneKeyboard.pde sample sketch to see the impact on the size.
before patch => 3614 bytes
after patch => 3526 bytes
improvement == 88 bytes!

I did not test speed, I expect it to be slightly faster (no free Arduino nearby to test)

Disadvantages?

Or, just replace the entire tone library with NewTone and save almost 1200 bytes.

Tim

There are always other options, Tim!