A beginner's question: arduino with mac os x 10.8.2 can't upload

Hi,

I am a very first user of arduino. When I upload my program to my arduino, arduino programming application shows a error message. The following is the message which it shows "stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding". I have double checked Tool->Board and Tool->serial port before I upload my program. Before uploading the program, I have verify my program. The program code I try to upload is the sample in arudino application(Blink). Thanks for your replying.

arduino board: arduino UNO
laptop model number: MacBook Pro (2010 Mid) with Intel CPU
operating system: mac os x 10.8.2

You may want to enable verbose output (during upload) in Arduino preferences and post the log. The error itself is too generic.

Thanks for your reply,

But I still don't know what I can do to solve my problem.

Can you give me more specific information or steps? I am a very first user, thanks for your helping.

• In the Arduino IDE (programming application) open the sample blink application.
  • Open the Preferences window (menu Arduino -> Preferences). Tick both options near "show verbose output during:": both for compilation and upload. Confirm with Ok button.
  • Try to upload your program (either press the right arrow button in the program's window or choose menu File -> Upload).
  • Select and copy the log text appearing in the window below the program editor.
  • Paste what you have copied into a new reply to this post.

When you write your reply, remember to enclose the log within a code block. A code block can be created by pressing the # button in the menu above, look at smiley ;). It starts with "code" and ends with "/code" enclosed in squared brackets. Here is an example, with an extra space that should not be there, but prevents its being formatted:

[ code]
Your log goes here...
[ /code]

If you remove the spaces, after you post your reply it will be shown as

Your log goes here...

Where did you buy the board from?

Thanks for your replying, I did the steps which you teach me. The following is the code I copy from Arduino IDE

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 18:52:52
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users/TommyHu/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/TommyHu/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/tty.usbmodemfa141
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [14] 
avrdude: Recv: . [10] 
         AVR Part                      : ATMEGA328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : Arduino
         Description     : Arduino
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [80]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [03] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [81]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [04] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [82]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: . [04] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [98]   [20] 
         Hardware Version: 3
         Firmware Version: 4.4
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [84]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [85]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [86]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [87]   [20] 
avrdude: Send: A [41] . [89]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
[ /code]

I bought my board from website

tomyhu1995:
I bought my board from website

I think you should be more specific about which website (did you mean this site?).

Anyway, from your log I can see that your UNO is communicating with the Mac, up to a certain point. It stops at the moment when it should send information about voltage and oscillator frequency. Unless other people experienced the same problem and knows of a solution, it is almost impossible to make a diagnosis without running test that require a certain experience (have you seen the loopback test? do you think you could do it?).

The only things I can suggest are small changes without touching the UNO:

• With the Arduino connected to the Mac (powered on), try press and release the reset button (near the USB port). You should see the orange LED near PIN 13 blink for a while, then stay on.
  • Try using a different USB cable.
  • If you can find another computer, try installing the Arduino software on it and see what happens with your UNO.
  • Search the forum for issues with the drivers for 10.8.2 and how people dealt with them.

If you cannot resolve the problem you may consider asking for a replacement.

Hi, if you are still around you may be interested to know that another person in this forum resolved a similar issue by connecting the Arduino through a powered USB hub.