Arduino Mega ADK for Android.

Imgur

Oh my it's been a while since something interesting's turned up...

I just want to know where the arduino ethernet got to in all this.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds. I have 2 questions:

#1: -----------
I am having trouble finding an Android site that has a "Contact Us" place so I can get an email to verify if their Android device and OS works with the Mega ADK interface library.

As long as there is some decent communication IO between the 2 and I can get them to reconnect if one loses power, I should be happy.

I hope to use an Android with about a version 2.2 or 2.3 OS.

Another option would be to use the Ethernet sheile with a wireless hub and program the Mega to be a dataserver via a webpage interface like a CGI. That might be better because then the Android is not always needed.

What do you all think?

#2: -----------
I am new to Arduino so am not clear as to how many IO places are taken up when you add a shield. For example - the Mega ADK has "54 IO pins, 16 Analog Ins and 4 UARTs". What happens when I add a shield? What about 2 shields? For example: an IO shield and an Ethernet Shield?

Thanks again,

Mark
mahei@roadrunner.com

i'm also new, so this might not be so reliable :stuck_out_tongue:
#1, according to Google, its compatible (it is listed as an Android Open Accessory compatible development board), here : http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/adk.html

#2, depends on the shied, most use between 3 to 5( at least the ones i have), the pins are mostly one Vout(3.3v or 5v), a ground and another pin. if you stack shields on top then make sure that they are not using the same pins. but most shileds try to minimize the number of pins used.

any reason this cant be used as just a USB host? for thumb drives, external Hd's/ storage, USB hubs etc

Best to use the USB host shield for that - this is not designed to act like that (although it may be possible - I don't know enough about it).

mowcius:
Best to use the USB host shield for that - this is not designed to act like that (although it may be possible - I don't know enough about it).

i have looked at both... they dont seem to be any different other then one is on the same board... and the shield has GPIN [0..7](general purpose inputs) & GOUT [0..7](general purpose outputs) routed to headers.... they both are using MAX3421 over the SPI bus.....