problem programming Attiny85 with UNO

I was able to burn the bootloader (for 8MHZ option) using the method of holding the reset button, as described here:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/DisablingAutoResetOnSerialConnection

However, I cannot upload the Blink example after that. I have first upload again the ArduinoISP sketch...

error=
avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85
avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync

If I am quick enough for setting 8Mhz... it is very strange it does not work for the Blink example...

I feel extremely tired....

More tomorrow..

why don't you add an 120R resistor between reset and +5V or a capacitor between reset and GND ?

putyn:
why don't you add an 120R resistor between reset and +5V or a capacitor between reset and GND ?

As I posted before, I have add a capacitor, remove it, with no success. I will try resistor.

As a curiosity, when i plug the capacitor, and the board is powered, the board resets itself... :astonished:

What I found to work, 10k resistor between attiny RST and +v AND 22nF cap between attiny RST and Arduino reset pin. No modification/parts added to arduino. Don't remember where I found these instructions. Let us know.

I have used your method. It does not work :~

I have used a 120K resistor.... it does not work.... =(

What i can do is burning the bootloader to have 8MHz option. I can do this with the 120 resistor, or holding the reset button.

Why can I set the fuses up, with no errors, but I cannot upload the Blink example?

This is extremely frustrating...

I think that with the resistor I have disconnected the auto reset. Led associated to pin 13 does not blink during upload, and now the error is different:

Binary sketch size: 768 bytes (of a 8192 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: stk500_cmd(): protocol error

any idea about the meaning of this error?

ProfePaco:
I think that with the resistor I have disconnected the auto reset. Led associated to pin 13 does not blink during upload, and now the error is different:

Or, the Arudino ISP sketch has been erased.

Connect an LED to pin 9. When the ArduinoISP sketch is idle, does the LED on pin 9 slowly get brighter then dimmer?

When you try to upload to the ATtiny, does the LED on pin 9 blink?

Thanks for your interest.

I connected the led.

When ArduinoISP is idles, yes, LED on pin 9 slowly gets brighter then dimmer.

If I upload again ArduinoISP skecth I can see the led blinking. That's good.

However, when I try to upload the Blink example, Led does not blink, stays on. Then an error is written, and the led gets brighter and dimmer again, so the ArduinoISP sketch is not erased, but the Blink example is not uploaded.

So I think that the situation now is: I have stopped the auto reset, but I cannot upload the blink example to the ATtiny85.

I have used another Attin85, with the same result. Yesterday i tried arduino nano with no success. At this pointy I think I will never do it....

:astonished:

Don't get discouraged. This took me a week (or two) to get working. What I posted wasn't my actual setup anyway, (http://insapio.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/breaduinoprogrammingattiny85.png is, however.)

I was getting the same error as you for at least a week. You might need to erase your Uno, disassemble your setup, and try out some other projects for a few days. Come back to it fresh. I dunno why, but that always helps me.

I also got to the point where I completely deleted the IDE, reinstalled, added back the tiny cores (the new 1.0 cores of course) and gave it another go. I'd done an inordinate amount of fiddlin' with my boards.txt and the avrdude.conf files, so ymmv.

Perhaps the only solution is buying one of these programmers:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/260766932832?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.es/itm/280761316552?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I am spending too much time on this problemm, even I am taking too much time from you... sorry for that....

Ha, no problem man, I've got infinite free time! But yeah, one of those should work out of the box. Although, so should the ArduinoISP :~

I have good news, annoying news, and good news.

First the good news. I've reproduced the problem and I know what is wrong.

Now for the annoying news. Arduino 1.0 and the ArduinoISP sketch are not compatible. There are some problems with the ArduinoISP sketch and Arduino 1.0 surfaces at least one of those problems.

And, finally, the good news. I have an update for the ArduinoISP sketch that works correctly with Arduino 1.0. If you'd like a copy, send me a Personal Message with your email address.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

pm sent

Thanks a lot!!!

Email sent.

So perfect work. Thanks a lot!!!

Now I can finally program the ATtiny85...

Here just a simple sound sensor that activates a relay... working!

That's great!

Over here no succes yet.

Instead of that I get this:
After Burning Bootloader to ATtiny45

This should be ok.
And then it happened:
After trying to upload the sketch to the ATtiny

What went wrong?

How did you disable auto-reset?

Is the LED on pin 9 fading when the TinyISP sketch is idle?

I know that the question is not for me, but in my case, I used the 120 Oh resistor, adding two resistors to get that value.

I have to check pin 9 with a led.

I used a 10 uF from an old VCR so it might be faulty or the legs are too short to use in the bread board. New ones are on their way.

I will put a led on pin 9 and try a resistor.

(I bought a clone Uno so I don't know what bootloader is on the Uno itself)

I'm going to try again, I'm new at this so my stock of resistors is limited but I will try.