Arduino nano not taking code from computer

Ok I understand , your communication between PC -arduinoNano is working.
Problem might at TX or Atmega.
You can use your Arduino duemilanove board as FTDI breakout.

1. Mark the Atmega Controller Pin1 and its orientation on Arduino duemilanove, Remove it from your socket.
  2. Connect TX,RX , GND, 5V to your arduino Nano and do not connect usb to Arduino Nano.
  3. Upload Blink example to Nano Via Arduino duemilanove.

If anything doubt in your mind you can post the details:
and go through:

Details: Uploading sketches to an ATmega on a breadboard.

So I take arduino duemilanove ATMEGA and put into a breadboard and then connect TX RX (Pin 0 and 1) and Gnd and 5V to arduino nano, and then where do I connect USB cable? Because u said do not connect USB to arduino nano, and the ATMEGA of duemilanove is connected to the breadboard so where do I connect the USB?

Remove microcontroller from Arduino duemilanove socket
now connect usb to Arduino duemilanove.

Oh I get it, so we are using the arduino duemilanove communication pins for uploading code onto nano, but what board do I select in options

You have removed the Atmega Cotroller from arduino duemilanove, duemilanove will behave like a USB serial controller.
Your seleted board is now Arduino Nano.
As you said your Led13 is never blinked, I am supecting your boot loader might be corrupted,
so go through this link:

You might required to re-burn the Boot file.

Will do it this evening, didn't have time yesterday, will post reply if working or not :slight_smile:

To reburn the bootloader, do I only need to connect TX, RX ,Gnd and 5V pins or do I need to connect other pins as well? Because in the diagram it shows for the ATMEGA in a duemilanove, but the atmega in the nano is different, if I do need to connect more wires, then what other wires do I need to connect from my duemilanove board, with no ATMEGA, but USB connected and to nano board with ATMEGA.

That's only for to upload your test program i.e. Led Blink .

If you want to burn the bootloader.

1. do not remove microcontroller from arduino duemilanove
  2. and connection as mentioned in diagram:
    2.1: From arduino IDE tools>Burn bootloader > w/ Arduino as ISP

I connected it as you specified in the diagram, I chose Arduino duemilanove and then the correct serial port, and when I click burn bootloader, then I get this error "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" and as I click burn, then the RX LED on the Arduino duemilanove blinks 2-3 times quickly, and then just the pin 13 LEDs on both boards start blinking 1 second on and 1 second off, synchronized, this is because I think I uploaded the Blink example onto the duemilanove before...how can I burn the bootloader now?

I followed your instructions and used this link to help, and as I follow the steps on that link and use your diagram to connect,

This is the error I get :

avrdude: stk500_program_enable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x50
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

As I press burn bootloader, then the RX pin on the duemilanove blinks about 2-3 times and then nothing happens for some time and then the error comes up on screen...what do I do now?

You Saild:
"then just the pin 13 LEDs on both boards start blinking 1 second on and 1 second off, synchronized"

When it was happened ? If you boot arduino Nano what is happening now, is led pin13 is blink during booting time?

nope it doesn't blink when I connect the nano, it only blinks when I connect the pins as shown in the diagram, this isbecause the duemilannove had blink code on it. So the LED is not damaged, but I am not able to burn the bootloader onto nano :frowning:

MAKE YOUR CURRENT ARDUINO AS ISP

There's one more important step before the target board can be programmed with the Arduino: the Arduino has to be programmed to work as a programmer! This is very simple; with the Arduino IDE open, open the ArduinoISP sketch by going to File->Examples->ArduinoISP. This sketch will make the Arduino act as an ISP programmer. Select your board in the Tools menu, and make sure the correct COM port is selected (also, copy down or make a mental note of the COM port. It will be needed in the next step). Then just upload the sketch to the Arduino.

After that you can burn the bootloader...

That is what I did, I uploaded the sketch to arduino duemilanove and then connected nano and using same com port, I burned bootloader onto nano, but it kept giving me that error... :frowning:

when you are loading the bootloader, what is the baud rate of seleted COM port?
It must be 19200.

I changed it and tried and it still gives the same error :frowning:

Do you know any other way I can upload the bootloader onto the arduino? Or any other way to just upload the code onto the arduino?
Plz help :slight_smile:
Thx :drooling_face:

vishalapr, I'm having the same issue with my nano too.
Please read my thread here and watch the video : http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,89155.0.html

Is it acting the same way as yours? Do you have the exact same chip as mine?

Thanks.

My arduino is doing the same thing that this users arduino nano is doing as well, here is a video that he made, and the same exact thing happens to my nano, maybe that will help you pravas?

@vishalapr
The link is here as you requested.
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130618080422

Thanks, at least I know I'm not the only one.

If you bought it from the same exact buyer, then he must have made a big lie to me.
He insisted that he tested it first before sending it out to me. He said it was working fine till I got the arduino.
All I did when I received it was plug into the computer, installed all the correct drivers (device manager says no issues), and fail to upload.

I will appreciate any inputs from the rest of you. Thank you very much.