Missing digital signature for driver on Windows 8

Finally it worked after 3 times of driver installation.

Thanks a lot Louis.

Z

The CAT file just contains the INF?

This MSDN article explains what a catalog file is:

It basically certifies that the .inf file is authentic and has not been tampered with after the catalog file was created.

opqdan:
This is on Windows 8 ...

I have Windows 95. Looks like you have some catching up to do. :slight_smile:

Worked very well for me. Many thanks for your help here!

I have come up with an alternative method to install the Arduino drivers on Windows 8.
This method does not require new driver files or installation of a test signature.

1. Windows Key + R
  2. Enter shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
  3. Click the "OK" button
  4. System will restart to a "Choose an option" screen
  5. Select "Troubleshoot" from "Choose an option" screen
  6. Select "Advanced options" from "Troubleshoot" screen
  7. Select "Windows Startup Settings" from "Advanced options" screen
  8. Click "Restart" button
  9. System will restart to "Advanced Boot Options" screen
  10. Select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"
  11. Once the system starts, install the Arduino drivers as you would on Windows 7

Steps to install driver after Driver Signature Enforcement has been disabled:

1. Right click the Unknown Device in Device Manager
  2. Select Update Driver Software
  3. Select Browse my computer for software
  4. Click Browse button
  5. Select the Drivers folder under the location of your Arduino software installation. (Do not select the FTDI folder inside the Drivers folder)
  6. Click OK
  7. Click Next

Update:
If you have a new system that came with Win 8 pre-installed, Secure Boot has probably been enabled in the BIOS.
The steps above, probably will not work unless Secure Boot has been disabled in the BIOS before performing these steps.

Thank you so much for this solution. Just got my UNO today and was having problems installing it on Win8. Cheers! XD

I'm still getting an error that the device is:

(This device cannot start. (Code 10) - A request for the USB device descriptor failed.)

I got pass the driver verification and successfully installed it, but something doesn't seem to be working right! It has been two days that I'm trying to get my arduino to even blink...

any help please :frowning:

Thanks to Louis I found that Code 10 meant I was using an old USB cable, all I did was buy a new one and now it's running beautifully!

Thanks Guys !
That was really helpful :slight_smile:

I had read that Win8 was going to be tougher regarding unsigned drivers. Thanks for going through the hassle needed to make this work!

Thanks for sharing! I'm trying to access this menu using Windows 8 Release Preview on my Samsung 7 Slate. When I arrive at the screen to select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement", nothing happens. My USB keyboard isn't registering, is there something I'm missing re: how to access this menu item? Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you so much for the detailed process. It really saved me a lot of time :slight_smile:

Thanks for this!

Thank you Louis!

Thanks Luis, worked for me

Thanks Louis for sharing the signed inf and certificate.

Has there been any word on the official approach to this problem?
Disabling driver signing, creating your own signing certificates and manually installing root certificates can hardly be in line with Arduino's image of being an "easy to get started with" platform.
Windows 8 is just around the corner now.

Maybe if you alert them on the bug reporting site.

They can't really be expected to support an unreleased operating system.

Thanks very much Louis Davis, your solution worked perfectly on Windows 8 Professional. Thanks!

Thanks a million! :slight_smile: