Sketch Uploading: USB to TTL Serial Converter

Need to connect up power too. programmed 5V to Promini VCC

0.1uFd cap (also referred to as 100 nF)
I think Promini already has a cap between its DTR pin and reset pin.
Check the promini schematic on the Arduino Harware page.

Thanks CrossRoads :slight_smile:

I thought thats what lefty meant by 0.1uFd , it was the d that threw me XD

So I give 5V to the Vcc Pin.

Heres the schematics for the arduino pro mini:

There is a cap on the DTR pin , 0.1nF

I also see in the schematics the black is a GND and the green is DTR.

Where does the RST one go to? I take it this one is the DTR?

Prolific RST (now rewired as DTR) goes to Promini DTR pin (labeled GRN and connected to left side of C2)

Ok , cool , so its like this then? (attached)

Just trying to make it simpler for other noobs like me :slight_smile:

Jim

Wow , that pic uploaded pretty nastily...

Reuploaded.

Jim

EDIT: that went well...

Uploaded to imageshack , working there:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/663/arduino2.jpg

Yes.
Pic might go better if cropped/resized to finish up around 800x600.

Awesome! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help guys :smiley:

Now we play the waiting game for the adaptor to arrive... fingers are crossed heh

Jim

I finally came! Happy Days!

Shall try the method outlined here tonight...

EDIT: Whoopsy daisy , I meant It came lol

Ok so I kinda got it going. Snipped the trace on the board then soldered up a pseudo header very badly and , when I chonnected it up , the light on the arduino came on solid , the green one flashing , a good sign methinks! however , the connection is so bad I cant do anything lol.

I have ordered a breadboard and header pins lol

Spent some time tidying up my novice soldering and got the arduino to come on! IT'S ALIVE! I tried to upload the blink test and got out of sync error. The red light was on but there was a green one that seemed to have a loose connection , most likely on my board, but when i move the arduino on my homemade headers (made of an untwisted spring lol) , it will come on and off as I move it. I got it to stay in place and the green light was flashing quickly. I tried to transfer the sketch then but I dont think it worked. Either way , I stuck a green led accross port 13 and gnd and it flashed in some cases so can I assume it is working and to ignore the out of sync or is it just a feature of the board to send a clock signal over 13 , kind of like the other green flasing led next to the reset button?

EDIT: I did also notice in device manager , the yellow exclamation mark was showing , the one when it couldn't find any drivers for the device. Could that be it maybe?

Managed to get it "working" on the breadboard using some header pins. Now the red light always shows but the green one doesn't. The arduino is solid on the terminals so it can't be a dodgy connection. I've not bricked it have I? I managed to get it to do the blink test as I was saying so I don't think it is dead but I still get the "out of sync" error. Is this the real life or is it just fantasy?

Anyone?

First of all i would fix the driver problem.
You can do a search for cp2102 drivers, this came up fx.:

When your driver is OK you could try the Loop-back-test
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73748.0.html

If this is OK, you know that your device is working

And just a note: the connections atleast on my cp2102 is: tx->tx rx-->rx

If all this is OK try uploading to the Arduino, and if it fails, try pressing reset when the message : Sketch size ... appear in the serial monitor

I have tried those drivers too but had the same issue. I have now soldered header pins accross the arduino's connection ports and can get a good connection using this but it is still giving the out of sync error. Glossing over the error , I powered up the arduino just to see if it uploaded but it didn't run the test I uploaded (blink test) I think the pin on 13 is synced up with the green LED on the board and that was flashing along with the LED I connected to it.

Looks like the green LED on the board is connected to pin 13 already which may say that the sketch uploaded , however , I tried changing it to pin 9 but the LED wouldn't flash. Green LED was still flashing though.

Did you try the loop-back test ?

Ah , meant to say earlier. Yes I did at one point have the loopback working but it has since stopped working. I was able to receive callbacks from arduino after soldering the pins but I tried again later on in the day and found that it wouldn't work. Still seems like a funky connection but I can't imagine where. When I am uploading sketches everything is completely still now since it is breaboard mounted.

the ftdi is directly connected to the breadboard and , via jumper leads , onto the correct lines on the breadboard as per the diagrams. The arduino gets the signal through its own header pins now.

I was looking through the forum when I spotted this thread:

He is using the same FTDI board as me so I am just interested as to why his works and mine dosent. The only difference I can see is that he is using a cap on rst. I was under the impression that the duino had a 0.1mfd cap on RST but there are 2 RST pins on the board. so it got me thinking , what if the pin I have been using all along is the one that dosent have the cap on it?

So I'm going to try that later this week when I can get down to maplin as the web isnt too great for small components like caps.

ok added the capacitor and was able to upload a sketch but , interestingly , wasnt able to use the serial monitor... wierd... but as long as i can upload sketches , I'm not too bothered :slight_smile: